Dr. Albert Gandioso
Institute of Chemistry for Life and Health Sciences
Laboratory for Inorganic Chemical Biology
+33 1 44 27 56 04
Albert Gandioso Ubieto was born in Barcelona (Spain) in 1990. After completing his BsC in Chemistry in University of Barcelona in 2013, he moved to University of the Basque Country to undertake his MSc focusing on Microbiology and Human disease. Thereafter, Albert decided to come back to Barcelona to undertake his PhD (2014-2018) in the group of Dr. Vicente Marchán at the University of Barcelona (Spain). The overall goal of his thesis was to develop novel chemical tools for the visualization and treatment of cancer by combining the outstanding properties of light with ligand-targeted delivery strategies. In 2017, he also made a 6-months research stay during his PhD at the National Cancer Institute (NCI-NIH), Frederick MD in USA in the group of Dr. Martin Schnermann, who worked in the field of photo-controlled targeted therapies.
In 2019, Albert was working as a Postdoctoral Researcher at the Institute for Research in Biomedicine, Barcelona (Spain) in the group of Prof. Modesto Orozco. There, he worked on the optimization and validation of a promising therapeutic RNA tool for combined cancer therapy. In June 2020, he was awarded with an important fellowship from the ARC Foundation to develop the project (2020-2022): “Far-Red to Near-Infrared-Absorbing Ru(II) polypyridyl complexes coupled to Monoclonal Antibodies as Photosensitizers for Selective Photodynamic Therapy.” with Dr. Gilles Gasser at Chimie ParisTech, PSL University (France).
Albert loves travelling (in special exploring Asia, like as Thailand, Cambodia and Philippines), cooking, playing sports and enjoying nice concerts and music festivals around the world!
- Postdoctoral Research Fellowship. “Postdoctorat 2 retour de l’étranger” of Fondation ARC pour la recherche sur le cancer (2020) Granted: 2020 – 2022.
- PhD with a distinction of “Cum Laude”. (2018)
- Predoctoral Research Fellowship for short stay in US of University of Barcelona. Granted: 2018
- Predoctoral Research Fellowship. “Ajuts de personal investigador predoctoral en formacio per alumnes de tercer cicle” of University of Barcelona. (2015) Granted: 2015-2018
- Research Fellowship for collaboration with Inorganic Chemistry Departament of University of Barcelona. (2012-2013)
- Gandioso, A., Rovira, A., Shi,H., Sadler, P. J., Marchán, V. “Unexpected photoactivation pathways in a folate-receptor-targeted trans- diazido Pt(IV) anticancer pro-drug”. (2020) Dalton Trans, DOI: 10.1039/d0dt02577a
- Gandioso, A., El Fakiri, M., Rovira, A., Marchán, V. “A novel transition-metal-free method for the synthesis of N-difluoromethylated pyridines and 4-pyridones/quinolones”. (2020) RSC Advances, DOI: 10.1039/d0ra06322c
- López-Corrales, M., Rovira, A., Gandioso, A., Bosch,M., Nonell, S. and Marchán, V. “Transformation of COUPY fluorophores into a novel class of visible light-cleavable photolabile protecting groups.” (2020) Chemistry – A European Journal, Paper Accepted
- Rovira, A., Pujals, M., Gandioso, A. López-Corrales, M., Bosch, M., Marchán, V. “Improved photostability and mitochondria specificity in far-red/NIR emitting coumarin fluorophores through replacement of pyridine by pyrimidine.”. J. Org. Chem. (2020) , 85, 6086-6097.
- Rovira, A., Gandioso, A. Goñalons, M., Galindo, A., Bosch, M., Massaguer, A., Marchán, V. “Straightforward solid-phase approaches for labelling targeting peptides with far-red/NIR emitting coumarin fluorophores” J. Org. Chem (2019), 84, 4, 1808-1817
- Novohradsky, V., Rovira, A., Cormac, H., Galindo, A., Vigueras, G., Gandioso, A., Brabec, V., Ruíz, J., Marchán, V. “Towards Novel Photodynamic Anticancer Agents Generating Superoxide Anion Radicals: A Cyclometalated IrIII Complex Conjugated to a Far‐Red Emitting Coumarin” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. (2019) 58, 1–6
- Yamamoto, T., Caldwell, D.R., Gandioso, A., Schnermann, M.J. “A Cyanine Photooxidation/β-Elimination Sequence Enables Near-infrared Uncaging of Aryl Amine Payloads” Photochemistry and Photobiology, 2019, 95: 951–958
- Gandioso, A., Bresolí-Obach, R., Nin-Hill, A., Bosch, M., Palau, M., Galindo, A., Contreras, S., Rovira, A., Rovira, C., Nonell, S., Marchán, V. “Redesigning the coumarin scaffold into small bright fluorophores with far-red to NIR emission and large Stokes’ shifts useful for cell imaging” J. Org. Chem. (2018), 83, 1185–1195.
- Zamora, A., Gandioso, A., Massaguer, A., Buenestado, S., Calvis, C., Hernández, JL., Mitjans, F., Rodríguez, V., Ruíz, J., Marchán, V. “Towards novel angiogenesis inhibitors based on the conjugation of. organometallic platinum(II) complexes to RGD peptide” ChemMedChem (2018), 13, 1755-1762
- Gandioso, A., Palau, M., Bresolí-Obach, R., Galindo, A., Rovira, A., Bosch, M., Nonell, S., Marchán, V. “High photostability in non-conventional coumarins with far-red/NIR emission through azetidinyl substitution” J. Org. Chem. (2018), 83, 11519–11531
- Gandioso, A., Massaguer, A., Villegas, N., Salvans, C., Sánchez, D., Brun-heath, I., Marchán, V., Orozco, M., Terrazas, M. (2017). “Efficient siRNA-peptide conjugation for specific targeted delivery to tumor cells”. Chemical Communications, (2017), 53, 2870-2873.
- Gandioso, A., Palau, M., Nin-Hill, A., Melnyk, I., Rovira, C., Nonell, S., Marchán, V. “Sequential uncaging with green light can be achieved by fine-tuning the structure of a dicyanocoumarin chromophore” ChemistryOpen, (2017), 6,375–384.
- Gandioso, A., Contreras, S., Melnyk, I., Oliva, J., Nonell, S., Velasco, D., García-Amorós, J., Marchán, V. “Development of Green/Red-Absorbing Chromophores Based on a Coumarin Scaffold That Are Useful as Caging Groups” J. Org. Chem, (2017) 82, 5398-5408
- Novohradsky, V., Zamora, A., Gandioso, A., Rodríguez, V., Brabec, V., Ruíz, J., Marchán, V. “Somatostatin receptor-targeted organometallic iridium(III) complexes as novel theranostic agents” Chemical Communications, (2017), 53, 5523-5526
- Gandioso, A., Cano, M., Massaguer, A., Marchán, V. “A green light-triggerable RGD peptide for photocontrolled targeted drug delivery: Synthesis and photolysis studies”. J. Org. Chem. (2016), 81, 11556-11564
- Gandioso, A., Shaili, E., Massaguer, A., Artigas, G., González-Cantó, A., Woods, J. A, Marchán, V. “An integrin-targeted photoactivatable pt(iv) complex as a selective anticancer pro-drug: Synthesis and photoactivation studies”. Chemical Communications, (2015), 51, 9169-9172.
- Shaili, E., Fernández-Giménez, M., Rodríguez-Astor, S., Gandioso, A., Sandín, L., García-Vélez, C., Marchán, V. “A photoactivatable platinum(IV) anticancer complex conjugated to the RNA ligand guanidinoneomycin”. Chemistry – A European Journal, (2015), 21, 18474-18486
- Gandioso, A., Valle-Sistac, J., Rodríguez, L., Crespo, M., Font-Bardía, M. “Platinum(II) compounds containing cyclometalated tridentate ligands: Synthesis, luminescence studies, and a selective fluoro for methoxy substitution” Organometallics, (2014), 33, 561-570.
- Arcau, J., Andermark, V., Aguiló, E., Gandioso, A., Moro, A., Cetina, M., Lima, J.C., Rissanen, K., Ott, I., Rodríguez, L. “Luminescent alkynyl-gold(I) coumarin derivatives and their biological activity” Dalton Transactions, (2014), 43, 4426-4436.